|| May 6, 2004|
|| Cafeteria Polyterrasse |
Minutes by: Chidu
Attendees : Vikas, Vishwa, Chidu, Santosh.
The six monthly report received from Mrs. Bapat
and the site visit report from Guru of Asha Pune was discussed. The
following points were made:
- Expense statement was discussed. Specific clarifications will be
- The dates of the various events needs to be reported.
- We expect a better financial statement.
- The relationship of the paragraph on the Renuka Devi school with the
overall report is not clear.
- Asha Zurich will not pay for the installation of Ambedkar statue.
- Rent for school premises: paying back rent is not a good idea. If the
rent is reasonable then we do not have problems paying for the rent in the
- For the next installment, do we send the money for 8 or 10 schools.
- The project should get the parents interested and involved. Can we
explore ways to achieve this? Can the extra money left out from the first
installment be used, for example, for: giving the kids some packaged
food two times a week, or milk, T-Shirts as uniforms, story books, regular
medical check ups etc.
- Possibility of the 9th class.
- It was felt that a site visit to the project by a Asha Zurich
volunteer would be ideal. Chidu will send email to all the India related
yahoogroups to see if there would be any volunteers to do this.
If not then somebody from Asha Mumbai can be asked to do a targeted site
visit. That volunteer will have to go through all the accumulated documents
and will be given a check list of things to look for. Chidu knows some
volunteers of Asha Mumbai and will find out the possibility.
- The vision of the project was felt to be weak. It was felt that
the dependence on NGOs should be consciously reduced with time through
empowerment. Does Vishwamandal Sevashram have any such model?
- To answer the above question, it was felt that it is important to
know how the situation has changed in the Shirpur area over the last 12
years of intervention, in terms of development, local involvement, and
taking up of responsibilities by the locals.
- VS should be asked for copy of the charter of their organization.
Manavi Project - Jharkhand
- Santosh gave an update. A new project proposal (more focussed) has
be received. Anuj is also working on this project.
- It was decided to continue to pursue this project. The next milestone
would be a site visit by Santosh in July, 2004.
Parivaar Project - Kolkata
This project was approved for funding in the last meeting. The final
details were discussed and the following points were made:
- Chidu will ask the current Asha President Netika Raval about routing
the money through Asha Kashi.
- Vikas will contact Projit Chatterjee to see if we can find a group
of people in Zurich willing to fund this project.
- Vikas will create a 'Memorandum of Understanding' to be signed by
both parties before funding is sent.
- It was decided that we must act fast on this project.